Botox® has become a household name worldwide for its outstanding anti-aging benefits. Even if you haven’t yet joined the Botox® bandwagon yourself, you undoubtedly know someone who swears by it to reduce the appearance of existing wrinkles and prevent new ones from occurring.
You may even have a friend or family member who has successfully discovered the uses of Botox® for therapeutic reasons, to address issues like recurring migraines, muscle spasms, or excessive sweating. But did you know this “wonder drug” has even more beneficial uses than these?
Read on to learn about six of the most surprising alternative cosmetic uses of Botox®.
- Smooth your chest and neck wrinkles: Due to age and sun exposure, many women develop vertical wrinkles between their breasts. Botox® injections into the pectoral muscles can smooth these out. Botox® can also make you look years younger if you have developed horizontal bands around your neck. Your dermatologist will inject small amounts of Botox® into the muscles above and below these lines, all the way around the neck; when they relax, the skin will look smoother.
- Get control of overly oily skin: Excessive sebum creates a shiny, oily appearance that may make you feel self-conscious. Even small amounts of Botox® in areas like your T-zone can help treat oily skin, preventing acne breakouts while minimizing the size of your pores.
- Soften your jawline and chin: If you have developed the habit of grinding your teeth, it can cause overdeveloped muscles in your jaw, which makes your face look wider and your jawline look more square over time. Getting Botox® injections into these jaw muscles prevents them from contracting, which will gradually make them less prominent and create a softer, slimmer-looking, and more feminine profile. The results will also have other benefits, like relieving the tension, headaches, and pain habitual tooth grinding can cause.
- Lift facial features: By relaxing wrinkles around the eyes and forehead, Botox® makes the entire upper face area look more open and approachable. Aside from lifting brows, Botox® injections at the base of the nose can release the muscle that pulls the nose downward, making the whole face appear more uplifted and mimicking the results of a rhinoplasty without the need for surgery.
- Contour your lips: Though fillers are one way to create voluminous lips, they aren’t the only secret to getting the perfect pout. It only takes a small amount of Botox® along the upper lip to create the so-called “lip flip” – a slight upward, outward roll that makes the top lip appear plumper. If you’re looking for a subtle way to make your lips look younger, this technique may be exactly what you had in mind.
- Improve your smile: One alternative use of Botox® benefits people whose smile reveals more of their gums than they desire. A few injections of Botox® can help open up your smile and allow you to show more of your teeth. It works by temporarily freezing the muscles that lift the upper lip when you smile, preventing the top lip from retracting and exposing too much of your gum line.
San Francisco’s Favorite Botox® Injectors
Unlike surgical procedures, the effects of Botox® wear off gradually over three to four months, which means you will require periodic touch-up treatments to maintain your results. However, Botox® is excellent for younger patients who are not ready to commit to surgery, or busy people looking to get quick, minimally invasive results that fit with their schedules.
Whether you are interested in getting traditional Botox® injections for cosmetic or therapeutic reasons, or you prefer to explore some of these alternative options, getting the best results requires finding a skilled injector. At Dermatology Group Inc., our board-certified dermatologists provide all Botox® injections themselves to minimize risk and ensure consistently natural-looking outcomes.
To learn more about Botox® injections in San Francisco, contact us to set up a consultation with one of our qualified dermatology professionals.