Some things never change
Although the advanced treatments and methods we use are a far cry from those used by the physicians who founded our practice, the way we approach our work and our patients has not changed in our 106 years.
We are dedicated to treating diseases of the skin as well as providing cosmetic treatments that erase the years and restore self-confidence. Our goal is to be very supportive and to treat the whole patient – both body and psyche.
At DMGSF, it’s not unusual to get a first, second …
even a third opinion during the same appointment
Our practice is based on group collaboration. Because the doctors respect and value each other’s education, training, and experience, we often meet to discuss individual patients, review pathology reports and decide together on the best course of treatment. This use of collective wisdom is something we are proud to be able to offer our patients.
Our Long and Proud History
We have been in continuous operation in San Francisco since 1903
The practice was started by Howard Morrow, M.D., who was a member of the original graduating class of Stanford University. He then studied medicine at the University of California, from which he graduated in 1896. He served as Professor and Chairman of the Department of Dermatology and was one of the founding members of the American Academy of Dermatology. Dr. Morrow was succeeded by Hiram Miller, M.D. in 1939 who served as Chairman of the Department until 1947, maintaining the tradition of the department head running this downtown practice.
A dedication to our patients
The last dermatologist of our group to chair the Department at UCSF was Rees B. Rees, M.D., who served from 1954 to 1966, at which time the administrative duties of the chairman had become so time-consuming that the department chief was needed at the University full-time. Dr. Rees was not about to abandon his devoted patients so he stepped down as Department Chairman to devote himself to his medical practice along with his partner, James Bennett, M.D. Dr. Herwick, the current senior partner, took over from Dr. Rees when he retired in 1980.
In downtown San Francisco for all these years
The offices were originally located in the Butler building located on Union Square in the location that later housed I. Magnin’s Department Store. In 1923, the practice moved to the old Fitzhugh building and then, in the mid-1960’s, to 450 Sutter Street. Finally, in the 1990’s, the practice moved to its present location at the Medico-Dental Building at 490 Post Street.
Always there when patients need us
During more than a century of existence, the practice never closed, even on moving days. Dr. Herwick recalls seeing patients atop packing boxes during the move between two suites at 450 Sutter, almost three decades ago.
Carrying on a tradition of academic involvement
The present physicians of DMGSF have maintained a vital academic involvement at UCSF and at CPMC and have been active in teaching medical students, interns and residents for many years.