Acne can be one of the most frustrating skin conditions to live with. The persistent redness and breakouts can plague you even if you follow a consistent skin care regimen, eat a balanced diet, and take steps to minimize stress. What’s worse, the memory of your struggle with acne can stay with you long after your flare-ups fade, leaving your complexion pitted, uneven, and irritated. As board-certified dermatologists, here are our top tips for preventing and reducing acne scars.
1. Don’t Pop or Pick Pimples
As tempting as it might be to take matters into your hands by squeezing or picking at breakouts, doing so could make your acne flare-up worse by spreading all the bacteria, oil, and dirt from the affected area to other parts of your face. A popped pimple also becomes an open wound, which can lead to scarring by interfering with your skin’s natural healing process. If you can’t stop picking, placing hydrocolloidal bandages or dressings over the pimples can help by encouraging healing and ensuring you remember to keep your hands off your face.
2. Stop Breakouts Before They Occur
The best way to prevent acne scarring is to head off breakouts before they begin. For example, you can practice self-care, get on a consistent sleep schedule, eat a balanced diet, and stay hydrated. Your skin care regimen is also an essential part of maintaining a healthy balance of protective oil and keeping your skin shielded from the outside world. Use medical-grade skin care products like the full line we offer.
3. See Your Dermatologist for Professional Treatments
As time goes on and your skin continues to age, acne scars might become only one of a growing list of skin care concerns you notice when you look in the mirror. The cumulative effects of sun damage, environmental pollution, and lifestyle choices such as smoking can all lead to premature aging, hyperpigmentation, and a dull, tired complexion. At Dermatology Medical Group of San Francisco, we offer a range of cosmetic treatments to help minimize acne scars and resolve multiple other concerns simultaneously!
- Dermal fillers: Biocompatible fillers such as Juvéderm® and Restylane® are ideal for diminishing acne scars’ pitted appearance, leaving your skin looking smoother and more even. We can also use fillers to address wrinkles and volume loss in your lips and cheeks.
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion is a gentle renewal treatment that removes the top layer of skin, revealing the glowing, healthy complexion underneath. It also encourages your body’s natural healing response by stimulating new collagen growth.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels are a customizable procedure available in light, medium, or deep levels, smoothing scarring and improving your skin’s texture.
- Laser skin resurfacing: We’re proud to offer some of the most cutting-edge lasers available today, including Fraxel® and Clear + Brilliant®. Laser skin resurfacing can resolve multiple skin issues in only one minimally invasive treatment, making it an ideal choice for our patients who are short on time.
Put Acne Behind You at Dermatology Medical Group of San Francisco
If you are grappling with acne and acne scarring, please reach out to us today to schedule your confidential consultation. Our university-trained dermatologists are carrying on a proud tradition originally established in 1903, and we are always there when our patients need us.